New Template

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Chicken Pot Pie


I'm sure it probably seems like I've let my food blogging go, but I promise that is not the case!  I've been having some technical difficulties with my computer, but it seems as though they've finally worked themselves out.  This is perfect timing since I have the perfect comfort food to share with you during this frigid weather we're currently having!  Speaking of frigid, when did I move to Alaska!?!  I know...I know...  That might be a little bit dramatic, but either I'm getting old or Oklahoma is getting colder.  Or maybe it's both?  All I know is that I need to live somewhere that only has two seasons...spring and fall.

Since I don't seem to live somewhere like that, I need to be comforted.  And I don't know about you, but there is nothing as comforting as a steaming helping of creamy chicken pot pie on a cold winter day.  When I came across this Weight Watcher's friendly recipe on LaaLoosh, I knew I had to try it.  The results were delicious, and this hearty meal has definitely earned a place on our meal planner.  Per usual, I made a few changes to the original recipe, so the recipe and nutrition information I'm giving you are as I fixed it.  Enjoy!

Chicken Pot Pie

1 small onion, finely chopped
2 small stalks celery, chopped
2 cups mixed vegetables (frozen is fine)
8-12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and diced
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon light butter
1 cup fat-free chicken broth
1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 can reduced-fat crescent roll dough

Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and spray 10-inch pie plate with butter-flavored non-stick cooking spray.  I had not pre-cooked my chicken, so cut up a few chicken breasts and cooked the pieces in a large skillet, making sure to salt and pepper the pieces.  Once the chicken is cooked through, remove from the skillet and set aside.

Melt butter in skillet.  Add onions and celery and cook until tender.  Stir in broth, chicken, vegetables, paprika, thyme, salt, and pepper.  Cover and simmer on medium for about 12-15 minutes.

In a small bowl, whisk together flour and evaporated milk.  Pour into chicken and vegetable mixture, and continue cooking on medium heat until mixture is thickened.  Be sure to continuously stir during this part.

Pour mixture into prepared pie plate.  Arrange crescent roll slices around the outside edge, leaving the pie open in the center.  Place into oven and bake until the crust is golden brown and the center of the pot pie is bubbly, about 15 minutes.  I highly recommend placing your pie pan on a cookie sheet before baking.  I didn't, and the yummy goodness inside ended up bubbling over in my oven. :-(  Once you remove from the oven, let the pie stand for about 10 minutes before serving.

Yields 5 servings
Weight Watchers Points+/serving: 9
Nutrition Info/serving: Calories - 333; Total Fat - 13.5g; Saturated Fat - 5.7g; Cholestrol - 47mg; Carbohydrates - 33.5g; Dietary Fiber - 4.4g; Protein - 21.2g

(Points and nutrition information calculated using recipe analyzer on www.caloriecount.com.)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly

ShareThis